Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The horrible lack of customer centricity in enterprise software

I have been working with enterprise software for a while now. At first, I liked this world, it seemed to be doing good things. However, recently I have come to appreciate how really bad some of the customer facing software actually is.  Most enterprises, don't really care about their customers. They have  a "Business Process" that they want to automate and guide without fully understanding if this is the way their customers think. This is especially true in financial services. 

I read a blog by Joel  on mental models. He talked about how if a software or hardware matches the mental model a user has it will be a hit. This fact is so totally ignored in enterprise software and I am surprised many companies get away with it. The surprising bit is, some companies actually want this to confuse their users more. 

As technologists, we need to take spread the revolution to make simple and easy to use software that customers can instantly relate to. I am sure the first company to do that will achieve the same kind of dizzy success Apple has had in the telecom/devices arena.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.


[url=http://cheapjordans2013.loveslife.biz/]jordans for cheap[/url]


[url=http://jerseys2017.2kool4u.net/]Kansas City Chiefs Jersey[/url]